Whether you have a lot of bowling experience or are simply interested in getting involved in a new activity to have fun and meet people, joining a bowling league in Hampton, VA is a great way to guarantee yourself a good time! Of course, if you’re a newcomer, you might find it a little intimidating to join a league, and you may not even know where to begin.
Here are a few tips to help you find and join a league that will help you get what you’re looking for from the experience:
- Check out local bowling centers: Most cities of a decent size will have at least a couple bowling centers for you to check out, and every bowling center will have leagues. Consider the convenience of the location, the friendliness of the employees at that location and the quality of the bowling center. You can even bowl a game or two there to see how comfortable you are with the environment.
- Ask at the desk: When you visit a bowling center, ask at the desk to talk to a league manager or coordinator, or whoever is responsible for organizing bowling leagues at the center. You might be able to find instructional leagues, which will help you to get coached up before you join a more competitive league that is going to have more experienced players. You may even be able to get free bowling lessons if you commit to signing up for a league in advance.
- Check schedules: Obviously, you’re going to want to make sure any league you join fits within your personal schedule, so make sure you ask the league manager for a list of all the league schedules for the next season. You’re going to want to find leagues that fit your level of experience as well as your schedule.
- Handicap: As a new, inexperienced bowler, you’ll be able to get a handicap, similar to the way you would in a game of golf. If you’re a new bowler, joining a league that has a low team average handicap is a good place to start. You’ll be able to compete against other bowlers that have varying levels of skill but still be able to be competitive.
- Practice: Once you’re involved in a league, make sure you continue to practice! Get together with your friends or with your new teammates and get to know each other. You’ll find that you’ll get much more out of your bowling league if you are friendly with the people on your team and comfortable being around them. It really helps to take the pressure off and allow you to enjoy the experience more!
- Join the USBC: Once you’re all joined up with a league, the league secretary can help you to officially join the United States Bowling Congress (USBC), the governing body for bowling that makes all the rules and regulations associated with the game. You’ll even get an official card that approves you for league competition!
If you decide you like bowling in a league and hope to do it for the long term, it then makes sense to invest in your own bowling balls, shoes and bags so you don’t have to keep renting from the bowling center.
If you’re interested in joining a bowling league in Hampton, VA, we encourage you to contact Sparetimes today with any questions. We’ll be happy to assist you in any way we can!
Categorised in: Bowling Leagues